the balance



I've always known I wanted a baby. But I've been apprehensive about the part where I'll have to be a parent to that baby. Calling the baby my daughter or son sounds so grown up, so official, so old. I'll just take the cute, snuggly parts, please.
Watching Carter figure things out day by day is like getting into a really unpredictable, addicting movie. My absolute favorite thing to do is figure out different ways to make him laugh (hint: variations of peekaboo never fail). I always emphasize to him that we have a BFF kind of relationship.
But I've dreaded the part where I have to be his parent. I've never wanted to be a parental figure type, per se. I hate, hate, hate telling him he can't pull stacks of papers out of the filing cabinet or climb in the dishwasher while it's dirty, especially if he's having fun doing it. And nobody should have to wear pants if they don't want to.
He's gotten so smart that he can predict when we're strategizing a diaper change or a nap time, and he'll run crawl away really quickly. I feel bad for him and want to get on the floor, giggle and crawl away from Matt with him. Sometimes I wish we were the same age.
What's so confusing about learning to be a mother is that you have to balance the urge to have fun and be silly with instilling order, rules, manners and cleanliness. It should be easy, but babies are born cute for a reason ... looking at his enormous blue eyes and puppy ears makes me want to give him anything and everything. I've found myself trying to measure what's more important, a dry diaper, or Carter being happy in this moment? Why does it feel like such a tough call?
I guess it really hit me when the crawling away started. He'd never done anything but crawl to us, reach for us and tug on our pant legs. Watching that diapered hiney wiggle away so quickly made me realize that the dynamics are starting to change. Soon he'll hide things from me, not tell me the whole truth, not want to hang out with me and probably think I'm mean because I'm his mom. I don't think I'll ever feel anything like that for him, and it will break my heart.

8 comments:

  1. I've thought this many times too! Not looking forward to it one bit. Henry has the same onesie, we LOVE it! Funny/weird thing is, I just posted a video of him wearing it about an hour ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to motherhood? Try for another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember that even though it might be hard for you, it's all so Carter grows up to be the amazing man I'm sure he will become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, new here, just found you because of the Top Baby Blogs reset YAY.

    I've been catching up a little, My little guy still has a couple of months until he turns one but I'm already getting panicky. I'm still nursing my little guy as well and I don't know how I feel about stopping just because he's one. Even though that's what I wanted to do. so confusing!

    Anyway I'll be back and I'm glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi -- I too just found you because of Top Baby Blogs reset --- I LOVE your blog and YouTube Station!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man, i think about this all the time, & then i try to quit having these thoughts & just take it day to day. i like to tell myself parker will NEVER be mad at me & ALWAYS think i'm cool despite being his mom. i'm gonna try to live in this fantasy a little while longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm back. I just watched your "Carter's First Year" video -- first it gave me shivers, then raised the hair on my arms, and then, I cried. You and your husband seem like wonderful parents and your son is such a sweet little man. Ok.. enough now... I won't be back till tomorrow. Promise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Christa & Lisa, I"m really glad you found my blog too! At first I was thinking UH OH, a RESET?! But it's turned out to be pretty great so far :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete