meet vanessa


IMG_6553V-1

My name is Vanessa, and I grew up around yarn.

Knitting machines, cones of yarn, sweaters and knitted toys surrounded my play areas. Ladies and grannies would come into my mom’s yarn shop and pick out yarn for their loved ones, spending what seemed like hours searching for that perfect design and yarn color.

It was all fascinating, but not for me. I liked playing outside rather than indoors, and all the wisdom of the older knitters could not sway me into picking up knitting needles.

I made my first sweater when I was 13 and the love affair began. Inspired by the idea of one of a kind knits, I decided to pursue a career in fashion design. I attended Moore College of Art and Design and learned the principles of design.

In 2007, I went to London and interned with designer Debbie Bliss and British Knitwear label Weardowney. After receiving my BFA in 2008, I looked for jobs that would really challenge me and hone my skills. I work for a major yarn company as my day job. In the evenings (and between naps for my 18 month old son) I design and knit for my etsy shop.

I cherish the idea of one day running into someone on the street and seeing them wearing one of my designs.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love the work, My mother Crotches like you knit, It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete